This Week’s Calendar:
Thursday, December 12, 2013
• Make-up and Late Work Due Date for A day
• Girls’ Basketball (7th) Zone 1st Round, 5:30-6:30 pm, TBA
• Girls’ Basketball (8th) Zone 1st Round, 6:30–7:30pm, TBA
Friday, December 13, 2013
• Band TMEA All-Region Band Clinic, Hays PCA
• Make-up and Late Work Due Date for B Day
• Winter Dance 4 - 6 pm, Cafeteria
Saturday, December 14, 2013
• Band TMEA All-Region Band Concert, Hays PCA
• Boys’ Soccer vs. Martin, 9-10 am, Lamar
Sunday, December 15, 2013
• NJHS Barnes and Nobles gift wrap, 9 am-1 pm, Arboretum B&N
Monday, December 16, 2013
• Girls’ Basketball (7th) Zone 2nd Round, 5:30-6:30 pm, TBA
• Girls’ Basketball (8th) Zone 2nd Round, 6:30–7:30pm, TBA
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
• First Round Boys Soccer Tourney, Time/Location TBA
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
• Second Round Boys Soccer Tourney, Time/Location TBA
• Felix Quartet performing for Advanced Orchestra, 10-11:30 am, Orchestra Hall
• Girls’ Basketball (7th) Zone Finals, 5:30-6:30 pm, TBA
• Girls’ Basketball (8th) Zone Finals, 6:30–7:30pm, TBA
Thursday, December 19, 2013
• Final Round Boys Soccer Tourney, Time/Location TBA
• Jazz Factory performance at Trail of Lights, 5:30-8 pm, Zilker Park
• Winter Choir Concert, 7-9:30 pm, McCallum
Friday, December 20, 2013
• Last Day of Class
Saturday, December 21, 2013
• Winter Break!! Happy Holidays!!
In This Issue
• Holiday Dance Volunteers
• Theater Booster Club Fundraiser
• Friends Don’t Let Friends Use Internet Explorer
• Priority Transfer Information
• WANTED: Gently Used Washing Machine
• Congratulations 6th Grade Science Club
• NJHS Gift Wrapping At The Arboretum Barnes And Noble
• Hoodie Hump Day
• Knights of Steel Dessert Concert
HOLIDAY DANCE VOLUNTEERS
We’ll need help on Friday setting up for the Dance, and from 4-6 taking care of a variety of tasks:
-bag check in library
We also could use donated holiday decorations.
PARENTS: Please pick up your students by 5:45-6:00, at the latest.
THEATER BOOSTER CLUB FUNDRAISER
The theater booster club will be having a weekend fundraiser at Five Below in the Arboretum Crossing shopping center (right next to Toys ‘r Us). Five Below has lots of great stuff from clothes to candy all $5 or less! It’s perfect for secret santa & teacher pal gifts, stocking stuffers and more. The event will last from Sat. 12/14 thru Tuesday, 12/17. Five Below will donate 10% of profits to the Theater booster club. Customers will need to bring in the attached flyer so we can get credit for the purchase.
FRIENDS DON’T LET FRIENDS USE INTERNET EXPLORER
We’ve been getting feedback that some of you are having trouble seeing the navigation on the new Lamar website. These problems seem to only be occurring when viewing the site in Internet Explorer. We are encouraging everyone to use Google Chrome (or another browser) when looking at the site. This should resolve any issues you may be having accessing the site.
If you have any other concerns, please email Virginia Rothenflue at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
PRIORITY TRANSFER INFORMATION
The Austin School District will begin accepting requests for school transfers for the 2013-2014 school year beginning on Monday, January 7, 2013. Requests may be submitted to the Office of Student Services (Room A200), Carruth Administration Center, located at 1111 West Sixth Street during regular business hours, 7:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Applications for priority transfers and non-priority transfers that are to be considered in the first round lottery process will be accepted through 5 p.m. on Thursday, January 31, 2013.
WANTED: GENTLY USED WASHING MACHINE
If you are upgrading your clothes washer, please donate it to Lamar’s Lifeskills classroom (we will also take a dryer if you have that too!). Our current one is slowly dying and it is used a lot for learning skills and helping our athletic department.
CONGRATULATIONS 6TH GRADE SCIENCE CLUB
Lamar 6th Grade Science Club wins 1st overall in the UT mini-Science Olympics!
Congratulations to Amber, Caleigh, Jali, Gabe, Antonia, Hallie, Charlie, Stephen, Katlyn, Amari, Lily, and Ben for a job well done! Our team also won 3rd in Alternative Energy (Stephen and Gabe), 3rd in Physics (Jali and Amber), and 1st in Chemistry (Ben and Charlie).
NJHS GIFT WRAPPING AT THE ARBORETUM BARNES AND NOBLE
Members will be wrapping on Sunday, 12/15, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM. There is no charge for the wrapping but donations will be gladly accepted. We hope to see the Lamar community come out and support our last fund raiser of the 2013 year.
HOODIE HUMP DAY
Back by popular demand. Lamar super awesome fine arts Hoodies will be sold Wednesdays, hump day, in December. You or your child or both can be the proud owner for just $20. It doesn’t matter what strand they are in its all represented in one hoodie.
If your child already has one, encourage them to wear it for hoodie hump day!
KNIGHTS OF STEEL DESSERT CONCERT
The Knights of Steel Dessert Concert is Friday, December 13 at 7:00pm in the McCallum cafeteria. This concert will feature all three McCallum Steel Drum bands as well as the new Samba Knights! And lots of yummy desserts.
Note: The concert is free. The dessert portion of the evening is a fund raiser for the Knights of Steel and tickets are $10 per person in advance and $12 at the door. Tickets are not required for the concert alone.
There are many ways to get tickets to this fabulous concert. You can get tickets by:
• Buy them from your favorite Knights of Steel or Samba Knights band member ($10)
• Mail a check to (you will be placed on the Will Call list and receive your tickets at the door $10):
6103 Twin Ledge CV
Austin TX 78731
• Email Karey Prete at email@example.com to get on the Pending Payment list ($10)
• Karey Prete will be at both lunches at McCallum selling tickets the week of Dec. 9-13
• Buy tickets at the door.
• All checks should be made out to McCallum Knights of Steel.
Submissions for the WAAG are due in to Mary LaWare at LamarWAAGfirstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in the Thursday weekly no later than Wednesday at 7 pm. Announcements can be from the PTA, school, teachers, staff and community members so feel free to announce your ongoings here. It is preferable for announcements to be sent in text form in the body of the sender’s email and not as attachments. Special announcements are accepted but please use these sparingly. We will make accommodations for messages sent later than 7 pm on Wednesdays, but can’t guarantee inclusion.