Fine Arts Academy
The Fine Arts Academy (FAA) at Lamar Middle School is pleased to provide an inspiring and robust program for students across Austin for the purpose of pursuing an accelerated arts curriculum as fine arts majors. Lamar FAA offers its students both meaningful and enriching opportunities in the areas of visual arts, dance, band, orchestra, choral music, drama, classical guitar, piano, digital arts and media, as well as our nationally recognized Lamar Jazz Band. Lamar FAA attracts a vastly diverse student body from across the city, including students from private, charter and parochial schools. Additionally, as the primary feeder school for McCallum High School and Fine Arts Academy, we are strongly aligned with McCallum's fine arts programs. Lamar FAA is Austin's top choice for middle school fine arts, as we strive to provide every student with a fulfilling and all encompassing middle school experience that nurtures the whole child. In short, our academic programs are comprehensive and rigorous, our athletic programs are dynamic, our parent and community involvement is flourishing, and most importantly, our student body is happy. We are Lamar!
Lamar Fine Arts Academy Application for the 2017-2018 school year is now available! Click here for the application/handbook. This application is due back to Lamar via hard copy (by mail or drop off at the office) by February 3, 2017. Remember, you also have to complete the AISD Middle School Program Intent form which will be available on November 1, 2016.
Important Fine Arts Academy dates
for the 2017-2018 school year
· October 1, 2016 – LMSFAA handbook available on-line through Lamar’s website (lamarmiddleschool.org)
· November 1, 2016 – AISD Middle School Program Intent form available on-line.
· November 17, 2016 – Lamar open house, 8:30am – 11:00am (begins in the library – tours every 15 minutes)
· December 3, 2016 – Middle School Choice Fair, see AISD.org for more info.
· December 3, 2016 – FAA application/audition workshop – 9-10am OR 10:30 – 11:30 am in the Lamar cafeteria. Participants may attend either session.
· December 5, 2016 – LMSFAA Showcase, AISD PAC, 11am -12:30 pm. (Everyone invited – a school visit pass will be provided to excuse your absence at your school).
· February 3, 2017 – deadline for submitting AISD Middle School Program Intent form - Fine Arts teacher recommendation must be turned in by February 3, 2017. * LMSFAA additional information must be completed by February 3, 2017 *
· By February 10, 2017 or before – FAA will email qualified applicants their audition time as their applications are received. All applicants with complete applications will receive an audition time. Students may audition for ONE strand only.
· February 18, 2017 – Auditions at Lamar (9am – 3pm) in the Lamar cafeteria
· February 21 - 24, 2017 – Shadowing for accepted students coming from private/charter schools
· February 21 – March 10, 2017 - Shadowing for accepted AISD students.
· March 10, 2017 – Decision letters mailed to accepted applicants
· March 24, 2017 – deadline for students to submit letter of intent to the FAA office
ATTENTION 6TH AND 7TH GRADERS! PLAN AHEAD IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN "FASTPASSING" INTO THE FINE ARTS ACADEMY FOR THE 8TH GRADE - SEE THIS DOCUMENT!
Click here to learn more about the Lamar Fine Arts Academy (en Español). LFFA is aligning its curriculum closely with McCallum High School and McCallum Fine Arts Academy.
Click here for a list of FAQs about Lamar Fine Arts Academy
Click here for a powerpoint presentation about Lamar and the Fine Arts Academy
The Fine Arts Academy builds upon the already outstanding arts program present at Lamar. Our award-winning Bands, Choirs, Orchestras, Classical Guitar Ensemble, Theatre Troup and Visual Arts programs are excited and ready for the challenges and opportunities ahead. In the 2014-2015 school year, we have added Digital Arts and Media as a strand in the Academy.
Lamar provides a program for students to pursue an accelerated arts curriculum in middle school. By creating a middle school with a fine arts focus for Austin, the Academy will fill an important role in our city. The FAA will feature partnerships with arts organizations and artists drawn from the internationally recognized Austin arts community, McCallum High School and the University of Texas at Austin.
Forms for academy students:
Production Attendance Form (verification of attendance to performances)
Ingrid McDonald, Lamar Fine Arts Academy Coordinator
Tel: (512) 841-2180