Fine Arts Academy
The Fine Arts Academy (FAA) at Lamar Middle School is pleased to provide an inspiring and robust program for students across Austin for the purpose of pursuing an accelerated arts curriculum as fine arts majors. Lamar FAA offers its students both meaningful and enriching opportunities in the areas of visual arts, dance, band, orchestra, choral music, drama, classical guitar, piano, digital arts and media, as well as our nationally recognized Lamar Jazz Band. Lamar FAA attracts a vastly diverse student body from across the city, including students from private, charter and parochial schools. Additionally, as the primary feeder school for McCallum High School and Fine Arts Academy, we are strongly aligned with McCallum's fine arts programs. Lamar FAA is Austin's top choice for middle school fine arts, as we strive to provide every student with a fulfilling and all encompassing middle school experience that nurtures the whole child. In short, our academic programs are comprehensive and rigorous, our athletic programs are dynamic, our parent and community involvement is flourishing, and most importantly, our student body is happy. We are Lamar!
Interested in applying for the Lamar Fine Arts Academy for the 2018-2019 SY?
Step One: Go to - https://www.austinisd.org/magnet-application and complete the AISD Common Application
Step Two: Click HERE for the Lamar Fine Arts Academy handbook and application, print it out, complete it, and turn it in to Lamar. If NOT attending an AISD school, click here for ELA teacher recommendation and here for Math teacher recommendation.
Make sure to review the audition rubrics in the Application packet!
The Lamar Fine Arts Academy Application Process and Important Dates
for the 2018-2019 SY
- Starting October 1, 2017, applicants should print out the entire Lamar Fine Arts Academy Application, complete pages 24 – 29 and either mail them to or drop them off at Lamar, 6201 Wynona, Austin, 78757. (Prior to filling out the application, make sure you have reviewed the handbook so that you are familiar with the requirements and look at the audition rubrics).
- Starting October 1, 2017, applicants must go to the Parent Cloud and click on the AISD Common Application (Part 1) and complete the online magnet application. This is the location where you request teacher recommendations for AISD teachers – others must be printed out and given to the teachers.
- November 16, 2017 - Lamar Open House (open to all) – 8:45 am – 11:00 am (begins in the library, tours every 15 minutes) – this is the only open house this school year.
- December 2, 2017 – Middle School Choice Fair, Ann Richards school, 2206 Prather Lane, 9 am – 12 pm.
- December 9, 2017 – FAA Application/audition information session. EITHER 9-10am AND/OR 10:30 – 11:30 am – you may attend both sessions to find out about 2 different majors (but can only apply for one).
- February 9, 2017 - the deadline for the LMSFAA application.
- As applications to LMSFAA are received, audition times will be emailed to applicants – make sure you are checking the email address you provided in the application packet.
- Saturday, February 24, 2018 – auditions/interviews will take place at Lamar, 6201 Wynona, from 9 am – 3 pm. PLEASE BE PREPARED TO COMPLETE A PRELIMINARY CHOICE SHEET AT THIS TIME.
- February 26 – 28, 2018 – Emails will go out to applicants who have been offered acceptance to the academy as well as those not offered acceptance. Those being offered acceptance will be notified of their shadow date.
- March 1 – 2, 2018 – Shadowing for accepted students coming from private/charter schools.
- March 5 – 23, 2018 – Shadowing for accepted AISD students (no shadowing during Spring Break, March 12-16).
- March 23, 2018 – Deadline for accepted students to submit letter of intent to the FAA.
Current 6th grade Lamar students interested in applying for the Fine Arts Academy must apply by February 9, 2018. Here is an explanation of the process.
Current 7th grade Lamar students interested in applying for the Fine Arts Academy via FASTPASS, click here for the application. THIS PROCESS BEGINS IN THE SPRING WHEN CHOICE SHEETS COME OUT. An explanation of the process can be found here.
Click here to learn more about the Lamar Fine Arts Academy (en Español). LFFA is aligning its curriculum closely with McCallum High School and McCallum Fine Arts Academy.
Click here for a list of FAQs about Lamar Fine Arts Academy
The Fine Arts Academy builds upon the already outstanding arts program present at Lamar. Our award-winning Bands, Choirs, Orchestras, Classical Guitar Ensemble, Theatre Troup and Visual Arts programs are excited and ready for the challenges and opportunities ahead. In the 2014-2015 school year, we have added Digital Arts and Media as a strand in the Academy.
Lamar provides a program for students to pursue an accelerated arts curriculum in middle school. By creating a middle school with a fine arts focus for Austin, the Academy will fill an important role in our city. The FAA will feature partnerships with arts organizations and artists drawn from the internationally recognized Austin arts community, McCallum High School and the University of Texas at Austin.
Forms for academy students:
Production Attendance Form (verification of attendance to performances)
Ingrid McDonald, Lamar Fine Arts Academy Coordinator
Tel: (512) 841-2180