Lamar Middle School and Fine Arts Academy is a middle school serving 6th - 8th grades in the AISD system.
Mission - Lamar Middle School and Fine Arts Academy is a caring community with diverse programs that engage all students in meaningful and creative learning opportunities that will prepare them for the future.
Vision - Lamar Middle School and Fine Arts Academy will be recognized for its excellence in developing the whole child by providing rigorous academic programs and creative opportunities in order to meet the challenges of a competitive, global society.
- All students will grow in a healthy and responsible way by learning through their own social and emotional experiences.
- All students will achieve success in their academic and elective programs.
- All students will develop a sense of community that encourages an awareness of the diversity in today's society.
Volunteer at Lamar
There are so many ways to get involved at Lamar Middle School, from joining PTA to helping with ongoing committees, our Scottie Dads program that encourages Dads to get involved on campus, and helping to keep the Lamar campus beautiful.
Learn about the volunteer opportunities available and get connected at Lamar!
Click here for the 2014-2015 Lamar Staff Email Directory.
Open House Date for 2014-2015 School Year
Lamar will only hold ONE open house this school year - December 11, 2014 from 8:30 am - 11:00 am. We will begin in the library and have tours of the school provided by PTA volunteers. This is a great opportunity to see what Lamar is about!
Look at the Scottie Clubs page in the For Students section for guidelines for Scottie Clubs and timeline (or just click here!)
CONGRATULATIONS TO LAMAR JAZZ FACTORY - COMMENDED WINNERS OF THE 2014 NATIONAL JAZZ HONORS - MARK OF EXCELLENCE! Click here for the complete list of winners.
Garden and Grounds Coordinator Needed
This person would work with Lamar science teachers to publicize and coordinate 2-4 garden workdays each year (recruiting volunteers, providing coffee and light snacks, etc). Also help with yearly garden maintenance and increasing campus and community awareness about the sustainability projects that we have on campus. It’s a great way for Lamar families to get to know each other, and if more people were involved, it would spread the workload. Please email email@example.com if you are interested or have questions.
Scottie Dad Program
Calling all dads, granddads, uncles, brothers…we need you! The Lamar Middle School Scottie Dad Program is ready to kick off the 2014-2015 school year! This program is designed to increase the adult male presence on our campus, while building quality relationships between our parents and students. Scottie Dads help increase student safety during all three lunch periods, while keeping connected with their child's school life and experiences. You can sign up for all three lunch periods or just parts of the lunch periods...your help and time is much appreciated no matter what.
SAVE THE (NEW) DATE!
Our Scottie Dads meeting has been moved to Tuesday, September 23 at 6pm in the LMS Cafeteria. Please join Mr. Bennett for an informational meeting about our exciting Scottie Dads Program.
Parents! GT Nominations are happening now!
There are numerous characteristics of gifted children and not all children will exhibit the same characteristics; however, the following list can serve as a guide to recognizing students who may be potentially gifted academically.
- Did your child start talking (and never stopped talking) before most other children the same age?
- Does your child have a lot of curiosity? Does he/she ask a lot of questions about all kinds of things one after another?
- Does your child give complex and detailed answers to questions (even simple questions)?
- Does your child have a wide range of interests? Does he/she enjoy trying new things?
- Does your child get lost in his/her own world and become so involved in what she/he’s doing that she/he isn’t aware of anything else?
- Does your child frequently have unusual ideas? Does he/she give logical, reasonable explanations for events and occurrences?
- Does your child pay close attention to details, is highly observant, and does not miss a thing? Does he/she notice likenesses and differences between people, events, or things?
- Does your child come up with powerful, persuasive arguments for almost anything?
- Does your child show empathy and sensitivity to the needs and feelings of others? Is he/she aware of problems that others don’t notice?
- Does your child worry about the world, other people, and/or the environment?
If you answered "yes" to more than one of these questions, your student may qualify for our Gifted and Talented Program. Each campus will screen nominated students to determine if they should receive gifted and talented services at the school. Not all students who are screened will automatically qualify to receive gifted and talented services. If you would like to nominate your child for the gifted and talented program please email our GT Advocate, Louisa Torrance, at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, your student's full name, and grade level by Wednesday, September 24, 2014.
Lamar Fine Arts Academy
The Fine Arts Academy (FAA) at Lamar Middle School is pleased to provide an inspiring and robust program for students across Austin for the purpose of pursuing an accelerated arts curriculum as fine arts majors. Lamar FAA offers its students both meaningful and enriching opportunities in the areas of visual arts, dance, band, orchestra, choral music, drama, classical guitar, piano, digital arts and media, as well as our nationally recognized Lamar Jazz Band. Lamar FAA attracts a vastly diverse student body from across the city, including students from private, charter and parochial schools. Additionally, as the primary feeder school for McCallum High School and Fine Arts Academy, we are strongly aligned with McCallum's fine arts programs. Lamar FAA is Austin's top choice for middle school fine arts, as we strive to provide every student with a fulfilling and all encompassing middle school experience that nurtures the whole child. In short, our academic programs are comprehensive and rigorous, our athletic programs are dynamic, our parent and community involvement is flourishing, and most importantly, our student body is happy. We are Lamar!